The Russia-Ukraine war has reached its 605th day, with significant developments on both military and political fronts. This report provides a comprehensive update on the situation as of October 21, 2023.
• Kryvyi Rih Attack: A Russian missile hit homes in Kryvyi Rih, killing a man and critically injuring a woman.• Zelenskyy’s Visit: President Zelenskyy visited the south of Ukraine, confirming that Ukrainian forces had repelled a new Russian offensive against Avdiivka.• Putin’s Briefing: Russian President Vladimir Putin visited the headquarters of Russia’s Southern Military District for a war briefing.• Increased Clashes: The Ukrainian military reported about 90 combat clashes in the past 24 hours, up from an average of 60 daily clashes a week ago.• Strategic Objectives: Russia aims to draw in Ukrainian troops from other front lines and gain ground before winter.• Dnipro River: Ukrainian forces appeared to have broken through on the eastern bank of the Dnipro river in Kherson, according to the Institute for the Study of War.
• Journalist Detained: Russian American journalist Alsu Kurmasheva was detained for an additional three days for failing to register as a “foreign agent.”• Motherland Statue: Kyiv’s iconic Motherland statue reopened after its Soviet-era emblem was replaced with the Ukrainian trident.
Diplomacy and Aid
• International Support: Biden and EU leaders expressed support for Ukraine and Israel, condemning Russian and Hamas aggression.• $106bn Security Package: Biden requested a massive $106bn security package, including $61bn for Ukraine.
• Cyberattack on ICC: The International Criminal Court suffered a cyberattack, suspected to be espionage aimed at undermining its work.
Updated Russian Casualties
• Eliminated: 292,850 (+790 from Day 604)
• Tanks: 5,063 (+16)• Armored Personnel Vehicles (APV): 9,612 (+55)
Artillery and Air Defense
• Artillery Systems: 7,017 (+5)• Multiple Launch Rocket Systems (MLRS): 822 (no change)• Anti-Aircraft Warfare Systems: 548 (no change)
• Aircraft: 320 (no change)• Helicopters: 324 (no change)• Operational-Tactical Level UAVs: 5,330 (+4)
Naval and Other Units
• Cruise Missiles: 1,535 (no change)• Boats/Warships: 20 (no change)• Submarines: 1 (no change)• Special Equipment: 990 (+5)• Vehicles and Fuel Tanks: 9,391 (+21)
Day 605 of the Russia-Ukraine war brings new military actions, political developments, and updated casualty figures. The conflict continues to escalate, affecting not just Ukraine and Russia but also drawing in global powers and impacting international relations.